Consult With Our No Win No Fee Solicitor And Start Your Claim Today

Compensation For Mould in Council House | Things You Need to Know

Compensation For Mould in Council House | Things You Need to Know

Who Is Responsible For Damp & Mould In A Rented Property?

Are you a social housing tenant? Are you having housing disrepair issues? If yes, then you may report it to the council. In case of no response from the council, you have the right to file a claim. The court will make the council compensate you for all the distress you met.

Let’s say your rented property has a damp and mould issue. Dampness appears when there are disrepair issues like:

  • Leaking pipes
  • Missing roof tiles
  • Cracks in the walls
  • Faulty guttering
  • Rotten or inadequate window frames
  • Faulty damp-proof course

All the issues mentioned above are purely the negligence of your council. The law allows you to file a claim to get compensation for damp and mould.

Effects Of Damp & Mould

Dampness and mould have the potential to spread different severe and mild diseases. Damp gives rise to mould, and mould gives rise to allergies and more. Mould releases numerous harmful substances. When mould comes in contact with human skin or if inhaled, it can cause the following issues:

  • Skin redness or rash
  • Itchy, red eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Nasal congestion
  • Chronic cough
  • Blurred vision
  • Sleeping Problems

Those with low immunity have more chances of severe diseases such as asthma. So it’s better to stop the housing disrepairs before it turns into damn or mould.

Can You Claim Compensation For Damp?

Suppose you are a tenant suffering from housing disrepairs like Dmap. You are eligible to file a claim. You can only file one against your council if the following conditions are met.

Report The Issue

You must report the damp issues to your housing council. This should be done in a written format so that it would become valid evidence for filing the claim. Proving written notice before filing a claim is mandatory to get eligible.

Council’s Negligence

After giving written notice to the council, if you see that they are taking no measures, you may file a claim. You have to wait at least 2 weeks after issuing a written notice to the council. 2 weeks of a wait after written notice will prove the council’s negligence. This will make your case even stronger.

Health And Financial Losses Gained

You also need to mention if any health and financial losses are attained. Also, arrange proper medical reports to get compensated accordingly.

Gather Evidence:

  • Evidence that the council held a duty of care
  • Evidence of the Council’s Negligence
  • Evidence of the violation of the duty of care
  • Evidence of health issues and financial losses attained

File A Claim

After gathering all evidence, you may file a claim to get compensation from council for damp.

Can You claim for Mould damage?

We have discussed above the effects of mould and the factors that give rise to mould. One should file a claim for housing disrepairs against the council beforehand. However, if you have waited till the appearance of mould, waste no time and file a claim. If you are in a council house, the court will help if you have the required evidence. The court helps in getting compensation for mould in council houses too.

Whether medical or financial, you can file a claim for any damage caused by the mould. Medical issues include respiratory problems, allergies, sleeping problems, etcetera. Moreover, financial losses include damages to furnishings and personal belongings. It also adds the other expenses that occurred to fix the damages.

Once the proof is gathered, you are ready to file a claim for compensation for mould and damp UK. File the claim with Vintage Claims Management Company and leave the rest to us. Our expert HDR solicitors/housing disrepair solicitors will carry out all the summonings and documentation on your behalf. You may also leave the compensation negotiations to our solicitors.

Individuals seeking “council house damp compensation” or “council house mould compensation” do not need to look further. We are the best claim management company operating in the UK. Along with housing disrepair solicitors, we also provide personal injury solicitors. Contact us today and get the compensation you deserve.

How Much Compensation For Dmap & Mould Can You Get?

For medical issues like Dermatitis, Asthma, Poisoning, Toxicosis, Kidney damage, etc., you may be compensated with a minimum amount of £3,000. However, depending on the severity of the issues, it may rise to £50,000 or more. Serious medical issues affecting your life could compensate you for around £100,000 or more.

Other than that, financial losses like damaged personal belongings and expenses will also be compensated.


Your comment will be published within 24 hours.

© Copyright 2021 Vintage Claims Management Developed by GIFCO Solutions